The Boerboel is typically a healthy breed, and a responsible breeder will screen breeding stock for health conditions such as elbow and hip dysplasia, heart disease, and two disorders that affect the eyelids: ectropion and entropion. As with all breeds, a Boerboel’s ears should be checked regularly, and the teeth brushed often.
Recommended Health Tests from the SABBS, BEU, NABBA, BI:
- DNA profiles of both parents
- The dog has been micro-chipped
- The parents’ test results for genetically hereditary diseases (e.g. hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, vaginal hyperplasia and entropion/ectropion – eye conditions).
- Hip Evaluation
- Elbow Evaluation
- Ophthalmologist Evaluation
- Veterinary certification that the dog’s inoculations are up to date.
Read for exampel the Club and Breeding Regulations BEU